The Inquest Handbook
If someone you know has died, or you are helping someone you know deal with a death where an inquest is to be held, this handbook will give you information about what will happen after a sudden, violent or unnatural death.
The handbook was developed in collaboration with other specialist advice agencies and bereaved people who have been through the difficult circumstances of a death involving a coroner’s inquest and offers a comprehensive guide to the coroners’ inquest system in England and Wales.
It includes information and advice on:
- what happens after a sudden death
- post-mortem examinations and the rights of bereaved people
- the process before and during an inquest, including when you may need legal advice and how to find and fund it
- coping with a death and an inquest
- contentious deaths in police custody or following police contact; in prison; in psychiatric care; work-related deaths; and deaths involving poor medical treatment in hospital or the community
There is also a comprehensive contacts section listing other sources of help and information, further reading and a directory of voluntary, government and professional organisations.
Download a PDF of the Inquest Handbook.
Order your copy
Copies of the the Inquest Handbook are available free to any bereaved person from the INQUEST office.
Advice agencies/CABs can request copies to pass on to bereaved people at a cost of £2.00 for administration and postage costs in the UK. Please contact INQUEST directly for costs for delivery outside the United Kingdom or for large bulk orders.
Statutory organisations and individuals such as academics and researchers can order copies at a cost of £10.00 each including postage and packing in the UK using the buttons below.
|The Inquest Handbook - third edition – for advice agencies / CABs etc (£2.00 per copy):|
The Inquest Handbook - third edition
– for individuals / researchers/ academics / statutory organisations (£10.00 per copy):
Inquest Handbook - third edition, published by INQUEST June 2016, 130pp, paperback.
ISBN 978 0 946858 29 3