Media Media releases Inquest opens into death of Jaskiran Kainth following self-harm in Leicester Magistrates’ Court cell 4 June 2021 Before HM Coroner Ivan CartwrightLeicester City Hall or remote access Opens 7 June 2021, 10amScheduled for 14 days Jaskiran Kainth, 18, was found unresponsive in a cell at Leicester Magistrates’ Court on 29 April, 2019. He had been detained awaiting a hearing. He was taken to hospital but died on 3 May 2019. His family are now hoping the inquest, opening Monday 7 June 2021, will provide ‘vital’ answers regarding the teenager’s death. The inquest is expected to examine the events leading up to Jaskiran’s death, including his contact with mental health services and Leicestershire Police. The inquest will also hear from a number of staff from GEOAmey, contractors for custody services at Leicester Magistrates’ Court where Jaskiran was detained. Charnjit Kainth, Jaskiran’s father, said: “Words cannot describe the grief me and my family have had to face since Jaskiran’s death. He was my only child and irreplaceable. We were very close. The family have all been devastated by his death and will be for the rest of our lives. Jaskiran was a sensitive and unique person. He was good at sports and loved playing football. In his last year of school he was given an outstanding achiever’s award for computer science. He was a shining light and future of our family but died at 18 years old before he could start his adult life. His life was tragically cut short and he left us way too soon. He will never be forgotten and will always be missed. While more than two years has passed since Jaskiran’s death time has stood still for our family. We’ve so many questions about what happened to Jaskiran and hope that the inquest can at least provide us with the answers we deserve.” Selen Cavcav, Senior Caseworker at INQUEST, said: “Thousands of people pass through court cells each year. The agencies involved in their detention have a duty to keep them safe. It is vital that this inquest answers questions around the care provided to this young man by the mental health services, the police force and the private provider Geoamey.” Juliet Spender of Irwin Mitchell who represent the family said: “Charnjit and the rest of the family remain devastated by Jaskiran’s death. Understandably they have a number of concerns about what happened and are anxious to understand whether Jaskiran’s death could have been prevented. We’re determined to support the family through the inquest and help provide them with vital answers they deserve. If the inquest identifies any errors it’s also important that lessons are learned.” ENDS NOTES TO EDITORSFor further information, interview requests and to note your interest, please contact INQUEST communications team, Lucy McKay on 020 7263 1111 or [email protected] or the Irwin Mitchell press office on 0114 274 4666. To request remote access via Zoom please contact [email protected]. The family are represented by INQUEST Lawyers Group members Juliet Spender of Irwin Mitchell and Sam Jacobs at Doughty Street Chambers. The family are supported by INQUEST caseworker Selen Cavcav. The inquest was due to take place in April 2020 but was adjourned due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Other interested persons represented are GEOAmey (private contractors for custody services at Leicester Magistrates’ Court), Leicestershire Police, Leicester Partnership NHS Trust, Ministry of Justice, and a solicitor who saw Jaskiran in custody. Journalists should refer to the Samaritans Media Guidelines for reporting suicide and self-harm and guidance for reporting on inquests.